Thursday, May 11, 2006

Now I've Got the Motherfucking Howling Fantods


Word to Jessica's hyper-sensitive antennae for picking up on this TV Guide interview with The Office's John Krasinski, who is apparently writing and directing the film adaptation of David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (which was originally made out of paper). I have not enough W's, T's or F's.

I'm nervous - Wallace is one of my favorite writers ever. (But I'm a white, male, college graduate born after 1980, so it's pretty much required). And while Brief Interviews contains some of his least successful work (along with a lot of good stuff), I can't help but feel like somebody is turning my best friend into a lizard. CANNOT become the guy who says, "It's not as good as the book."

There's no way it's going to be as good as the book.

And the guy from The Office? Really?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, Mark. Thanks for the whirlwind of helpful information. I've been looking up available apartments online and when I come accross one that seems affordable I just assume its in a shiv zone. How much should I expect to pay for a reasonable studio? Mike said he pays $525. I don't have a job, so it really doesn't matter where I live. And are you still moving to New York? And still temping?

Everyone talks up Infinite Jest, but I favored Consider the Lobster. Up, Simba is incredibly eye openning and its true, lobsters do suffer.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Mark S. said...

Yeah dude, still moving to New York. At the end of the month, actually. I can't bring myself to read "Up, Simba" the book about "Infinity" because the idea of DFW writing about hip-hop just seems ... I dunno. But, yeah, Consider the Lobster is great - "Authority and American Usage" is an incredible essay, that got DFW in as much trouble with grammarians as the title essay did with neurologists.

And, yeah, you can get a studio for $525. Personally, I don't like Uptown, which is where Mike lives. The apartment is fine, but I don't like the area much. If you shell out another $100, you can probably get a decent studio in a different area. OH! Important: don't use Chicago Apartment Finders. They positively fucked Kyle and I out of about $1,000 that we will never see again.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, dude, I've been using Craig's List. Most people I know have given it positive reviews.

What part of NYC? My girlfriend leaves for New York on Wednesday and even though she offered, I'm pretty certain I'm not going. It's a strange situation, but as I recall, you were lamenting over a very similar situation last time I saw you. Is that why you're moving?

I liked 'Up, Simba' because a) it was my introduction to DFW and b) it was a very different spin on an issue that was receiving an abundance of attention at the time. I just took a linguistics class and have a new appreciation for him.

Happy Mothers' Day

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home